Frequently Asked Questions

Bespoke insurance for social media influencers_

From as little as £135 a year for up to £100,000 towards legal costs

You’ve got questions? We’ve got answers

Legal jargon. Fines. Court appearances. Professional Indemnity Insurance sounds intense, especially if you’re new to it. If you’ve got a query that’s not addressed on Our Cover then see below for the answers to the most common questions about common insurance terminology, our plans and billing.

A helping hand

1. What is Professional Indemnity insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance provides funds for losses you are legally liable for, including legal defence costs if you make a mistake or are negligent and a claim is brought against you by a third party. It can extend to include costs incurred to rectify the problem or to mitigate the costs to avoid a more expensive liability claim. Your contracts with your clients may include clauses that require you to have Professional indemnity insurance.

2. What does Professional Indemnity insurance cover?

Professional Indemnity insurance provides cover for allegations made against you for

  • Negligence or breach of duty of care.
  • Negligent mis-statement & defamation – unwitting or intended comments.
  • Infringement of intellectual property rights including copyright, performance and broadcasting rights.
  • Breach of contract.
  • Breach of privacy or publicity.
  • Dishonesty of your partners, directors, employees or freelancers.
3. Do I need Professional Indemnity insurance?

What if…?

  • Are you talking about products or celebrities? What if you get your facts wrong, offend someone or just say the wrong thing?
  • Are you posting images? Do you have the right permissions and licences? What if you use last season’s product image? Aerial shots from drones require particular permissions.
  • Are you publishing someone else’s review? Who owns the copyright – you or the author?
  • Are you promoting a product?  Have you declared your interest to your readers?
  • How safe is the data of your subscribers – and how good is your Privacy Policy?

Everything you do and say on social media could affect the reputation you’re building, and if you inadvertently defamed someone or breached someone’s intellectual property, you could have a costly lawsuit on your hands. Professional Indemnity insurance provides an affordable solution for protection for these sorts of risks.

4. Is Professional Indemnity insurance compulsory?

No professional indemnity insurance isn’t a legally compulsory insurance in the UK, although it is a requirement of some regulators and professional bodies – which means it’s compulsory for some professions such as solicitors, financial advisers, insurance brokers, accountants and architects. However client contracts often include clauses that require it.

5. How much Professional Indemnity insurance do I need?

The level of cover that you need may be dictated by a client contract and there is no requirement to have this cover or a set limit by law. However we suggest that you purchase a limit which you can reasonably afford and will cover your likely risk exposures.

6. Is Professional Indemnity insurance tax deductible?

No, Professional Indemnity insurance is not tax deductible but it is subject to insurance premium tax at a percentage of the premium set by HM Government.

7. What’s the difference between Errors and Omissions and Professional Indemnity insurance?

They are different names for the same form of insurance cover – in the US it is more commonly known as Errors and Omissions Insurance.

8. What is a “retroactive date” on a Professional Indemnity policy?

Professional Indemnity insurance is arranged on a “claims made” basis so a retroactive date is added to the policy to note the date since when you have held uninterrupted Professional Indemnity insurance – even if you have changed insurance companies during this time. Any claims or incidents which happened before the retroactive date will not be covered by your Professional Indemnity insurance policy.

9. What does the term “professional service” mean?

This refers to the activities, business description or trade covered under the policy. The policy is only designed to provide cover for your activities as an Influencer – any work or activities that fall outside of this definition is not covered by the scope of this insurance.

10. What does the term “geographical limits” mean?

The geographical limits of the policy are worldwide as, after all, the risks you’re exposed to online are global!

11. What does the term “jurisdiction limits” mean?

This refers to the legal jurisdiction limits covered under the policy – and most importantly, therefore, the relevant legal costs which are insured. The jurisdiction limits of the policy are worldwide as, after all, the risks you’re exposed to online are global and claims can therefore be brought against you anywhere in the world including the US and Canada.

12. What does the term “excess” mean?

If you make a claim, this is the contribution that you will be required to make towards the cost of the claim and it’s normally deducted by insurers from any claims settlement that they make.

13. Can I buy online?

We’ve made this super easy for you – just click the ‘Get a Quote’ page, tick the relevant boxes, enter your personal details, and we’ll offer you a competitive quotation. Then you’re ready to buy your Social Influencer insurance and have confirmation of cover within minutes.

15. What payment methods do you offer?

We accept payment by credit or debit card only.

16. I don’t fit within the criteria specified - can I still get a quote from you?

Absolutely! If you need a more bespoke quotation, please contact the team via

17. I’m having problems buying online

Please get in touch with the team via – our normal office hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm

18. Who provides the insurance for the policy?

Assured Social is underwritten by Beazley Underwriting Services Lloyd’s Syndicates 2623 (82%) and 623 (18%).

19. I no longer need this insurance - can I cancel?

Having purchased a financial services product online, you are entitled to cancel the policy without penalty and without giving reasons within fourteen (14) days of (i) the day of purchase of this insurance or (ii), the day on which you receive the policy documents, whichever is later. This is in addition to our standard terms of business. All policies sold by Assured Social are offered on an annual basis only, and if a claim has been made under the policy, no refund will be payable as the contract will be deemed as fulfilled. The policy may be cancelled outside of the 14 day cooling off period however no premium refund will be given.

20. How do I renew my policy?

We will contact you at least 14 days before your policy is due to expire and it will be renewed automatically when it expires unless you instruct us otherwise.

22. How do I get copies of my insurance documents?

Just log into your online account and everything can be found there, including copies of the policy schedule and policy wording.

23. What is the tax included in my insurance premium - can I claim it back?

The tax included in your insurance premium is insurance premium tax. It’s a percentage of the premium and is set by HM Government. It’s not VAT so you can’t claim it back.

24. Who is covered by my policy?

The policy only provides cover for you and your activities as an Influencer. No one else is covered by this policy.

25. Help! I think I need to make a claim - what do I do?

Drop us an e-mail at  or call us on Call us 01223 200655 between 9am and 5.30pm outside of office hours contact Beazley direct on

26. How long will a claim take to be resolved?

Professional Indemnity claims can be very complex but others can be relatively straightforward. We’ll work with you and your insurer Beazley to handle each claim as appropriate – rest assured each claim will get the attention it deserves and we’ll be there to help and guide you throughout the claims process.

27. If I make a claim, might it affect my renewal premium?

Possibly – depending upon what the claim was for, whether the claim was settled and how much for.

28. How do I make a complaint?

It is our intention at all times to treat customers fairly and provide high quality service. However, if you have a complaint about our service you should contact the Chief Executive Officer at Merlin Place, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0DP, so the matter can be properly addressed. We handle all complaints promptly and fairly in accordance with the procedure outlined in the FCA rules.

If you cannot settle your complaint with us you may be entitled to refer the matter subsequently to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which is an independent complaints resolution service. The website for the Financial Ombudsman Service is

As your policy is insured in the Lloyd’s market and you are not satisfied with our response or you have not heard from us within 2 weeks you are entitled to refer the matter to Lloyds. You may contact Lloyd’s at:

One Lime Street
London EC3M 7HA

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7327 5693
Fax: +44 (0)20 7327 5225